18 August 2009

The Future of Medicine

I was reading the NY Post this morning, and decided to take a look at the editorials. I found one written by (Dr.) Mark K. Siegel, specifically about the new (supposed) 'health care' plan proposed by (President) Obama. The doctor (rather appropriately, I think) chose to title the piece "The Hopes Obamacare would Kill".

I think it is a very good name, although many people will probably disagree with me.

What (President) Obama is proposing is a government-run health care system, or at least what will become one, if it does not begin as one. He wants to make our health care system like the ones in Canada and Europe, and apparently believes those systems are quite successful, and that our system will become even moreso.

Wherever Obama gets his ideas , I want to know... I have a bridge to sell to anyone else who gets theirs there. (Believe me, they would love the view, and I promise, I'm more than willing to be reasonable on the price... They could charge tolls!)

But back to Dr. Siegel's editorial. He makes good points, asking what would have happened if we had adopted these "reforms" to our system in the past. As he says, would the (medical) advances we have made be present now, under such a system's rule?

When you consider that the other goverments on this world who have adopted this type of medical system have cut (significantly) back on medical research. New, cutting-edge equipment is not purchased as often, and with less profit, less further research is done. As well, less new drugs are produced - the government will not pay for them (saving the government's money, after all, is the way to go!), and therefore patients who might be saved by innovation are left to die.

What Obama wants to do will compromise the Hippocratic Oath, which says that a doctor must "...prescribe regimetns for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgement." How can a doctor follow such an oath when their ability to do so would be taken away by trimming costs?

For a long time, I wanted to be a psychologist - to earn a Psy. D., and since (President) Obama has begun this ludicracy, I have found myself wondering that if I did so, would it be financially worth it? A strange statement to begin with, yes, but would I ever be able to pay back my school loans when you take in to consideration that a sizable portion of psychiatric care would probably be cut off by this plan?

More importantly, however, there would be my obligation to follow the Hippocratic Oath. Would I be able to? I do not believe I would, and I believe many people will suffer terribly because of what this President is proposing.

More and more people are turning on Obama, and he still seems to believe that he is following 'the will of the people', and the Democratic party seems to think (or at least Howard Dean does...) that "You can't really do health reform" without it, referencing the government-run insurance program proposed in this bill.

How is taking the ability for a person to properly care for themselves out of the hands of the people any real kind of (positive) reform? People will suffer if this should happen, but I do not think it will.

If it does, I'd say we're going to see a lot more graves (in this country) a lot more quickly than expected under the current system.

I'm sure the government will deny any (public) payment for the funerals.

After all, they need to save (our) money.

No comments: